Monday, July 23, 2012

Preschool




This is week 6-the last week of preschool "camp" for Liam. Boy, what a busy 5 weeks it's been! I was very very worried about starting Liam in a preschool. He'd never even been with a babysitter (aside from my mom, and she definitely doesn't count as a sitter!) The preschool at our temple has a reputation for being wonderful. I knew the director, I knew some of the teachers. I was ready. Maybe. 


The deal was that we'd start slow. Leave Liam there for a couple of hours and see how it goes. Leave Liam? WHAT?  How can I leave Liam? Day 1 came and I packed Liam a snack and lunch, change of clothes, diapers, wipes, etc. and off we went. He went into the classroom, saw a puzzle he liked, and started playing. I nonchalantly said goodbye and left, feeling great! He didn't cry! Well....not quite.


I got a text message from the teachers a little while later saying Liam was crying on and off. I went to get him at 11 ( 2 hours before the end of the day.) Snotty nosed and red from crying, my baby looked quite miserable. He didn't want to eat anything, didn't want to drink his water, didn't want to play much. I was broken-hearted! Plus, we knew that the next day would be worse because by then he'd know what school was, and that mommy left. 


Sure enough, the next morning I walked him in and he immediately started to cry. I quickly left and prayed for the best. I got many text messages from the wonderful teachers. Liam threw up because he cried so hard. Liam has calmed down a bit.  Liam was playing. Liam was crying again. I went to get him at noon and sat with him through lunch. He ate a few bites and that was it.







The following morning the crying started when we turned into the parking lot. He threw up again. I was ready to give up! But his teachers and his amazing daddy kept encouraging me to push through the tough period. Liam had tough mornings, but as the week would progress, by Friday he was doing better. We also started having his teachers come get him from the car, because it was easier on him to leave me, than for me to leave him. 


The weeks passed, and while I was still waiting for a day I wouldn't have to wash pukey clothes after school, I saw improvements. He was eating in school! AND he was eating better at home. He was starting to feed himself at home, and didn't need distractions to eat anymore (well, only on occasion he still needs a toy or a video). Best of all??? He was starting to show me what he learned. He was doing the motions for songs! He didn't cry anymore when people sang in groups. In fact, he likes it when the teachers and class sings in group time or in Shabbat Party. No, he doesn't talk yet, but so what?




                                                      




















         










Today is the last Monday of the summer preschool session. After this week there will be a 4 week hiatus and then school will start for the fall. Today was the best Monday this summer! He only cried a little bit, didn't vomit, and had a great day! He ate snack and lunch, and was happy to see me at the end of the day. I'm sure things will be a bit difficult in the fall, but I know his teachers will make the transition easier for him. I'm so grateful to have such a wonderful school here for my son, which such loving and dedicated teachers! Thank you Ms. Freddi, Ms. Jenette, and Ms. Elie!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment