Tuesday, July 24, 2012

He Pointed!

This sounds so trivial and so meaningless to parents of typically developing kids....but to us it's huge! This morning Liam was snuggling with me on our bed, and Brian walked into the room. I asked Liam "Where is Daddy?" And Liam pointed-with his index finger. For the first time (at something far away)! This is a huge milestone for him-one that one year old babies achieve with no big "hurrahs." I'm so happy!


Later on this morning he was watching Sesame Street and a song came on that talked about high and low. And what do you know--he reached high on the word "high" and crouched low on the word "low," totally imitating what they were doing on the show. Again-HUGE for him.  I slowly see improvement, especially in the last couple of weeks. I believe this is a combination of a couple of factors--mainly school, and me switching to almost 100% English when speaking to Liam. 


I hated switching to English. It's something that I really hoped I'd never have to do. Being bilingual is something that's so important! And while I still speak Hebrew to Liam at home, and still show him Hebrew videos and read Hebrew books, I've slowly (and deliberately) made the switch to English. And just like with Coby back when he was that age, there is a big difference with Liam as well. He definitely understands more, follows directions better, and is more aware. 


Now camp is almost over for the summer, and in the month that is left before school begins, there is a lot of work to do. But for the first time in a long time I'm so hopeful and positive! Liam will be ok. There is no set definition for "ok." But who cares? For us, for him, he'll do just fine! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment